Obstacle courses are fun and exciting but it is important to prepare our health and skin prior to the event. I have put together some useless tips to help you look and feel your best on the day.
Cold Harsh weather conditions can deprive your complexion of moisture and wreak havoc on your skin.
Humidity levels tend to drop off in the autumn and winter months. The drier the air, the more moisture it sucks from your skin, so you’re more likely to experience dryness and flakiness during the colder months of the year, especially if you’re prone to eczema or other dry skin conditions.
Here is advice on how to protect your skin and well-being not only for the obstacle run but useful tips for the upcoming winter months.
- Protection – SPF is so important. UVA and UVB sun rays are damaging to your skin, over time it breaks down the elastin on the skin which causes premature Aging. Over exposure to the skin results in fine lines and wrinkles mostly on the face, neck and hands. Pigmentation is also caused by sun damage especially on darker skin tones. The biggest mistake most people make is only wearing SPF when the sun is shining. We are exposed to sun rays every day even in winter.
- Moisturise is the key. Find a moisturizer that is oil based rather than water based, as the oil will create a protective layer on the skin that will retain more moisture.
- Exfoliate – Our skin sheds every 28 days so it is important we help our skin remove any dead skin cells remaining Exfoliation removes any dead cells and rejuvenates the skin. Cold weather can dry out the skin so exfoliation is needed more in autumn, winter months.
- Cleansing – Throughout the day the skin on your face is continually covered with bacteria, pollutants, viruses, dirt, and old dead skin cells. Daily facial washing removes these impurities to give the skin a fresh look .
- Hydration – Dont hydrate just for your skin, hydrate for your internal organs. Health reflects from the inside out. Water will Help energize Muscles. Lack of water can result in muscle fatigue. Drink water before your workout, and drink water at regular intervals to replace fluids lost by sweating. Water also helps your skin looking good, lack of water in the body causes your skin to become dehydrated which can cause fine lines, wrinkles and a dull complexion. Drinking two litres per day will help reduces dehydration on the skin
- Hand-cream – Our hands are our tools, we have them exposed daily in all conditions. Apply a hand cream every morning and evening to keep them soft and radiant.
Health care Multi vitamins
- Boosts immunity: Vitamin C is a strong antioxidant known for strengthening the immune system. Vitamins D and E boost immunity, too. These vitamins can also help reduce allergy symptoms.
- Healthy hair and skin: Vitamins B3 (Niacin), biotin, and Vitamin C for fuller hair. For healthy skin, look for Vitamins A, C, E, and CoQ10.
- Feel better: Vitamin B will boost energy levels, feelings of well-being, as well as a decrease in stress and anxiety.
- Don’t wear big, cotton t-shirts or sweatpants. Cotton will absorb water, add weight, and slow you down. It can become very uncomfortable. Wear gloves to protect your hands.
OK , so if you don’t want to go bared faced here is some quick and easy tips on still looking good while getting dirty.
- Waterproof Mascara is a must , you don’t want panda eyes.
- Oil free Foundation
- Pressed face powder will Set your foundation on the skin and prevent it transferring throughout the day.
- Heat protection spray. Our hair can also become dry and brittle in colder conditions and can also lose moisture. Heat protection spray will create a barrier on the hair follicles to prevent any loss of moisture
- Hair masks will replace lost moisture. Apply a mask once a week.
- Plaits. Keep your hair back off your face, plaits are super stylish and easy to achieve.
- Headbands are a great option for shorter hair and still stylish lots of colour options available.
Recommended product: Coconut oil
Coconut oil is a multi use product. It has over 70 uses in health and beauty. Here is some uses and how it will benefit you from the above information. Available in all Supermarkets retailing from €7 to €11.
- Natural moisturiser – It can be used as a face and body moisturizer.
- Anti Aging benefits
- Makeup remover – apply all over the face and remove with a warm damp face cloth
- Hair conditioner
- Lip-balm –
- Contains a small Spf factor.
- Fight Inflammation – Coconut oil supports both a healthy liver, and kidneys.
- Boost Immunity – Coconut oil’s unique is rich with lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid provides for strong antiviral, antifungal, antimicrobial, and antibacterial properties that have an immune boosting effect.
Enjoy your Run and have fun x